Behavioral Medicine & Psychiatry; Neurology; Radiology; Centers for Neuroscience
University of North Dakota, Psychology
Neuropsychology, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
Current Research Interests
Dr. Haut is currently involved in research related to motor recovery after stroke. He uses structural MRI, such as cortical thickness measures, and Diffusion Tensor Imaging to understand structural plasticity after motor training/learning post stroke and the effects of rTMS on motor recovery post stroke. Dr. Haut is also studying MRI correlates of opioid addiction using cortical thickness, DTI and resting state fMRI.
Current Grant Funding
Customized cortical stimulation therapy in the rehabilitation of stroke patients. NIH 1R01NS090677-01 10/01/2015- 09/30/2019
- Buetefisch (PI)
- Haut (Co-I)
West Virginia Stroke CoBRE P20 GM109098, NIH/NIGMS 09/01/14 to 08/31/19
- Simpkins (PI)
- Haut (Co-I)
Lab Personnel and Collaborators
Marissa Pifer, BA
Marissa Pifer grew up in Charles Town, WV, and earned her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology at West Virginia University. She is a research assistant in Dr. Haut's lab, and is currently involved in projects looking at a variety of neurological conditions such as stroke, opiate addiction, and Alzheimer's disease.
Cathrin Buetefisch, MD, PhD
Dr. Buetefisch is an Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology at Emory University, and the Interim Director for the Deep Brain Stimulation Clinic in the Movement Disorder Clinic. She is a neurologist and neuroscientist internationally recognized for her work in neurorehabilitation.
- Wischnewski M, Kowalski GM, Rink F, Belagaje SR, Haut MW, Hobbs G, Buetefisch CM. Demand on skillfulness modulates interhemispheric inhibition of motor cortices. J Neurophysiol (2016) 115(6): 2803-13. [Epub 2016 Mar 9]. PMID: 26961108
- Wiener J, Moran MT, Haut MW. Completed suicide in a case of clinically diagnosed progressive supranuclear palsy. Neurodegener Dis Manag (2015) 5(4): 289-92. PMID: 26295722
- Buetefisch CM, Howard C, Korb C, Haut MW, Shuster L, Pergami P, Smith C, Hobbs GR. Conditions for enhancing the encoding of an elementary motor memory by rTMS. Clin Neurophysiol. 2015;126(3):581-593. PMC4485439.
- Buckalew N, Haut MW, Aizenstein H, Rosano C, Edelman KD, Perera S, Marrow L, Tadic S, Venkatraman V, Weiner D. White matter hyperintensity burden and disability in older adults: is chronic pain a contributor? PM R. 2013;5(6):471-480. PMC4023475.
- Buckalew N, Haut MW, Aizenstein H, Morrow L, Perera S, Kuwabara H, Weiner DK. Differences in brain structure and function in older adults with self-reported disabling and nondisabling chronic low back pain. Pain Med. 2010;11(8):1183-1197. PMC2925166.
- Adamovich BL, Gualberto G, Roberts T, Haut MW, Gutmann L. Teaching neuroImages: amnesia due to fornix infarction. Neurology. 2009;73(17):e86
- Abraham J, Haut MW, Moran MT, Filburn S, Lemieux SK, Kuwabara H. Adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: effects on cerebral white matter seen in diffusion tensor imaging. Clin Breast Cancer. 2008;8(1):88-91.
- Buckalew N, Haut MW, Morrow LA, Weiner D. Chronic pain is associated with brain volume loss in older adults: preliminary evidence. Pain Med. 2008;9(2):240-248.
- Carey ME, Haut MW, Reminger SL, Hutter JJ, Theilmann R, Kaemingk KL. Reduced frontal white matter volume in long-term childhood leukemia survivors: a voxel-based morphometry study. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008;29(4):792-797.
- Sparks DL, Lemieux SK, Haut MW, Baxter LC, Johnson SC, Sparks LM, Sampath H, Lopez JE, Sabbagh MH, Connor DJ. Hippocampal volume change in the Alzheimer Disease Cholesterol-Lowering Treatment trial. Cleve Clin J Med. 2008;75 Suppl 2:S87-S93.
- Swayampakula AK, Alkhouri N, Haut MW, Abraham J. Cognitive impairment with significant brain parenchymal volume loss following standard adjuvant chemotherapy in a patient with breast cancer. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2007;5(12):985-987.
- Haut MW, Kuwabara H, Ducatman AM, Hatfield GP, Parsons MW, Scott A, Parsons E, Morrow LA. Corpus callosum volume in railroad workers with chronic exposure to solvents. J Occup Environ Med. 2006;48(6):615-624.