Lab website: https://cmbrownlab.wordpress.com/
Dr. Brown is currently recruiting graduate students for her lab. If you are interested in joining this lab, please contact Dr. Brown directly.
The long-term research objective of my laboratory is to understand the neuroendocrine and neuroimmune mechanisms that control brain endothelial cell and blood-brain barrier responses to systemic inflammation. My research program addresses how prior acute systemic infections influence stroke severity and accelerate cognitive decline in mouse models of sepsis, ischemic stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease. Our studies will provide insights into how sex differences shape innate inflammatory responses that, in turn, enhance neurological dysfunction and promote neurodegenerative disease.
- Sex differences in brain responses to acute systemic inflammation in sepsis, stroke, and Alzheimer's disease
- Mechanisms that preserve blood-brain barrier integrity and protect cerebral function in brain microvascular endothelial cells
- Brain and peripheral arginine metabolism in stroke and Alzheimer’s disease
Techniques and animal models include
Mouse models of acute and chronic inflammation
- Sepsis - cecal ligation and puncture
- schemic stroke - permanent and transient middle cerebral artery occlusion
- Transgenic models of Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementias
- Brain endothelial cell primary cultures and hCMEC/D3 cells
- Astrocyte and microglia primary cultures
Histology and microscopy
- Alkaline phosphatase histochemistry and cerebral microvessel analysis
- Fluorescence and confocal microscopy
- LAESI: Laser ablation electrospray ionization
Lab Personnel + Collaborators
Sujung Jun, PhD
Wei Wang, MS
MS1 2016 Summer Fellowship
MS1 2016 Summer Fellowship
WVU Biology Honors Student, Class of 2017
WVu Biology, Class of 2017
WVU Biology, Class of 2018
WVU Immunology and Medical Microbiology, Class of 2018
2016 SURI Student, WVU Biomedical Engineering, Class of 2018
Sara Sine, WVU Biology, Class of 2016
Kaitlyn Runner, Neuroscience Graduate Student
Andrew Miller, MD - WVU School of Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine
Carol A. Colton, PhD - Duke University Medical Center, Department of Neurology
Charles E. McCall, MD – Wake Forest School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine
Andy N. Hoofnagle, MD PhD – University of Washington, Department of Pathology
Protea Biosciences, Morgantown, WV
Open Positions: Eager, enthusiastic, and motivated students who would like to be a part of a collaborative neuroscience research team are welcome to contact Dr. Brown at any time to inquire about open positions in the laboratory.
- Hall JL, Ryan JJ, Bray BE, Brown C, Lanfear D, et al. Merging Electronic Health Record Data and Genomics for Cardiovascular Research: A Science Advisory From the American Heart Association. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2016 Mar 14; in press
- E.B. Engler-Chiurazzi, C.M. Brown, J. Povroznik, and J.W. Simpkins. Estrogens as neuroprotectants: estrogenic actions in the context of cognitive aging and brain injury. Prog Neurobiol. 2016 Feb 15; in press
- C.M. Brown, C.D. Bushnell, G. Samsa, L.B. Goldstein, and C.A. Colton. Chronic systemic immune dysfunction in African-Americans post-lacunar stroke. (2015) Transl Stroke Res. 6: 430-436.
- M.J. Kan, J.E. Lee, J.G. Wilson, A.L. Everhart, C.M. Brown, A.N. Hoofnagle, M. Jansen, M.P. Vitek, M.D. Gunn, and C.A. Colton. Arginine deprivation and immune suppression in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. (2015) J Neurosci. 35: 5969-5982.
- V. Vachharajani, T.F. Liu, C.M. Brown, X. Wang, N. Buehler, J.D. Wells, B.K. Yoza, and C.M. McCall. SIRT1 inhibition during immunosuppressive phase of sepsis enhances immunity and improves outcome. (2014) J Leuk Biol. 96: 785-796.
- M.A. Espeland, S.A. Shumaker, I. Leng, J. E. Manson, C. M. Brown, E.S. LeBlanc, L. Vaughan, J. Robinson, S.R. Rapp, J.S. Goveas, D. Lane, J. Wactawski-Wende, M.L. Stefanick, W. Li, S.M. Resnick for the WHIMSY Study Group. (2013) Long-term effects on cognitive function of postmenopausal hormone therapy prescribed to women aged 50-54 years. JAMA Intern. Med. 24: 1-8.
- T.F. Liu, C.M. Brown, M. El-Gazzar, L. McPhail, P. Millet, A. Rao, V.T. Vachharajani, B.K. Yoza, and C.E. McCall. (2012) Fueling the flame: bioenergy coordinates metabolism and inflammation. J Leuk. Biol. May 9, 2012, epub.
- C.M. Brown, J.O. Becker, P.M. Wise, and A.N. Hoofnagle. (2011). Simultaneous detection of 6 L-arginine metabolites in human and mouse plasma and serum by using HILIC chromatography and tandem mass spectrometry. Clin. Chem. 57:701-709.
- C.M. Brown, T.A. Mulcahey, N.C. Filipek, and P.M. Wise (2010). Production of proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines during neuroinflammation: novel roles for estrogen receptors alpha and beta. Endocrinology 151:4916-4925.